The Australasian Association of Writing Programs (AAWP) publishes the literary journal Meniscus and the writing journal TEXT, and hosts a number of creative writing competitions.
Meniscus is an online, free access literary journal. The editors and advisory board are based in Australia, New Zealand and the UK, and welcome submissions from writers anywhere in the world. Meniscus publishes high quality, innovative poetry, prose poetry, short fiction, flash fiction and creative essays in English, or in other languages with a good parallel translation. Meniscus publishes two issues a year: around April, and around October.
The Australian Copyright Agency's Cultural Fund provides funding for the journal with the following proviso: that in each of the two issues each year, for 2017, 2018 and 2019, the writers of the best prose piece and the best poetry piece published would receive $AUD1,000. At present, we regret, we cannot guarantee funding for any other contributors.
Submissions are now open for the first issue of Meniscus for 2021.
- Please send work on any theme, in the following forms:
* up to three poems, collected in a single document (max 75 lines each; up to half a page for prose
* up to three flash fiction stories, collected in a single document (max 500 words each);
* and/or up to two prose pieces of up to 3,000 words each
- Include a brief bio note (50-75 words)
- Include a confirmation that it is your own work, and not previously published
- Advise us if it is being simultaneously submitted to other literary outlets.
We look forward to reading your work.