Meniscus is an online, free access literary journal published by the Australasian Association of Writing Programs (AAWP). The editors and advisory board are based in Australia, New Zealand and the UK, and welcome submissions from writers anywhere in the world.
Meniscus publishes high quality, innovative poetry, short fiction, and creative essays in English, or in other languages with a good parallel translation. Meniscus publishes two issues a year: in April, and in October.
The Australian Copyright Agency Cultural Fund provides funding for the journal with the following proviso: that in each of the two issues each year (2017, 2018 and 2019) the writers of the best prose piece and the best poetry piece published will each receive $AUD1,000. At present, we regret, we cannot guarantee funding for any other contributors.
Submissions are now open for the first issue of Meniscus for 2018.
How to submit your work:
- Please send portfolios of up to five poems, collected in a single document; or two prose pieces of up to 3,000 words each; if you choose to send two, put them in one document only.
- Include a brief bio note (50-75 words)
- Include a confirmation that it is your own work, and not previously published
- Advise us if it is being simultaneously submitted to other literary outlets.
- Fiction – 2,500 words max. There is no minimum.
- Micro-fiction/flash fiction – 150 words max.
- Novel Excerpts – 2,500 words max. There is no minimum. Novel excerpts must be self-contained (that is, they can be read on their own without the rest of the novel to give the reader context).
- Poetry – Either 6 poems or 1,000 words max.
- Plays – 10 pages max. Please use the standard play format: https://ptfaculty.gordonstate.edu/lking/CPF_play_formatting2.pdf
- Nonfiction – 2,500 words max. This can include memoirs, creative nonfiction, news and feature articles, and essays.
- Book reviews – 1,000 words max.
- Videos – 6 minutes max. Videos must already be uploaded to YouTube and be free of copyright infringement.
- Pictures – 6 images max. Please submit the images copied into a word file – if we like them, we will ask for the jpeg versions.
- You must be 18 years old, or younger.
- If you’re submitting anything but a play, video, or picture, then the work must be 12pt font throughout. Even the title.
- Use a font that’s easy to read, like Arial or Times New Roman. Not comic sans. Please, oh please, not comic sans.
- Double-space your lines and add a line after each paragraph.
- Put your last name in the header and page numbers in the footer.
- STICK TO THE WORD LIMIT. If you send us something that’s too long, we won’t have time to look at it.
- Make sure that the document you send can be opened on any device. Word in compatibility mode is usually the safest bet – formats like Pages can’t be opened on a PC. Google Docs is also no good.