The Australasian Association of Writing Programs (AAWP) publishes the literary journal Meniscus and the writing journal TEXT, and hosts a number of creative writing competitions.
Meniscus is an online, free access literary journal. The editors and advisory board are based in Australia, New Zealand and the UK, and welcome submissions from writers writers of all backgrounds, identities, nationalities and ethnicities, anywhere in the world. Meniscus publishes high quality, innovative poetry, prose poetry, short fiction, flash fiction and creative essays in English, or in other languages with a good parallel translation. Meniscus publishes two issues a year: around April, and around October.
The Australian Copyright Agency's Cultural Fund provided funding for the journal until 2019. At present, we regret, we cannot guarantee funding for any other contributors.
Submissions are now open for the second issue of Meniscus for 2022.
- Please send work on any theme, in the following forms:
* up to three poems, collected in a single document (max 75 lines each; up to 250 words for prose
* up to three flash fiction stories, collected in a single document (max 500 words each); and/or
* up to two prose pieces of up to 3,000 words each
- Include a brief bio note (50-75 words)
- Include a confirmation that it is your own work, and not previously published
- Advise us if it is being simultaneously submitted to other literary outlets.
We are interested in any work you send, and also particularly interested in work that pushes the limits of the form/s, plays with voice, mode and style, or whatever else interests you. Feel free to contact us ahead of time if you would like to discuss your ideas.
We look forward to reading your work.