Meniscus is an online, free access literary journal published by the Australasian Association of Writing Programs (AAWP). The editors and advisory board are based in Australia, New Zealand and the UK, and welcome submissions from writers anywhere in the world.
Meniscus publishes high quality, innovative poetry, short fiction, and creative essays in English, or in other languages with a good parallel translation. Meniscus publishes two issues a year: in April, and in October.
The Australian Copyright Agency Cultural Fund provides funding for the journal with the following proviso: that in each of the two issues each year (2017, 2018 and 2019) the writers of the best prose piece and the best poetry piece published will each receive $AUD1,000. At present, we regret, we cannot guarantee funding for any other contributors.
—a ticket to the Australian Short Story Festival (ASSF) 3-5 November 2017 (Adelaide), accommodation for the duration of the festival (maximum value $500) and return economy airfares (maximum value $500).
—a one-year annual membership to the Australasian Association of Writing Programs (AAWP) and fully subsidised conference fees to attend the annual conference of the AAWP, where you are invited to read from your work. The editors at Meniscus will consider your work for publication.
Conditions of entry:
1. This competition is open to emerging writers across Australia. Emerging writers will not have a full-length, single-authored, commercially published, print publication in any genre. Emerging writers who have published in electronic format only, or who have published work in collections showcasing multiple authors, are eligible.
2. The Prize opens on the 15 May 2017 and closes at midnight on 31 August 2017. Late submissions will not be accepted. The winner will be announced on the AAWP website and the ASSF website no later than 1 September 2017.
3. Entries should not exceed 3000 words.
4. The entry should be formatted as follows — line spacing: 1.5, font size: 12 point, font: Times New Roman.
5. You may enter as many times as you wish. Subsequent entries incur a separate fee.
6. Any entries that do not follow the rules will be disqualified. If an entry is disqualified no refund will be given.
7. Entries may not be altered after they have been submitted.
8. The AAWP/ASSF reserves the right to disqualify any entry that breaches the rules.
9. The judges' verdict is final. No correspondence or discussion.
10. The award is for unpublished writing, including online publication.
Submissions are now open for the second issue of Meniscus for 2017.
How to submit your work:
- Please send portfolios of up to five poems, collected in a single document; or two prose pieces of up to 3,000 words each; if you choose to send two, put them in one document only.
- Include a brief bio note (50-75 words)
- Include a confirmation that it is your own work, and not previously published
- Advise us if it is being simultaneously submitted to other literary outlets.