Publication Pathway and Networking Opportunity for Emerging Writers
Take advantage of this stunning opportunity to celebrate the craft of writing at South East Asia’s largest and most exciting literary festival. Be welcomed into the thriving community of writers within the AAWP. Enter your short story or poem and make the most of this generous publication pathway and networking opportunity for emerging writers.
If you win you will receive:
- a ticket to the Ubud Writers and Readers Festival (UWRF),
- accommodation for the duration of the festival,
- $500.00 towards economy airfares (Terms and Conditions apply, see below),
- a one-year membership to the Australasian Association of Writing Programs (AAWP),
- fully subsidised conference fees to attend the annual conference of the AAWP, where you will be invited to read from your work and
- the editors at Meniscus will consider your work for publication.
Conditions of Entry
1. This competition is open to emerging writers. Emerging writers will not have a full-length, single-authored, commercially published, print publication in poetry or prose, or a hybrid form crossing these boundaries. Emerging writers who have published in electronic format only, or who have published work in collections showcasing multiple authors, are eligible.
2. The Prize opens on 28 November 2019 and closes at midnight on 31 July 2020. Late submissions will not be accepted. The winner will be announced on the UWRF website and the AAWP website no later than 30 September 2020.
3. Entries must be in English.
4. Entries should not exceed 30 lines (poetry) or 3000 words (prose).
5. Entries should respond to the 2020 UWRF theme: Mulat Sarira (see UWRF website for extended definition).
6. The entry should be formatted as follows—line spacing: 1.5, font size: 12-point, font: Times New Roman or Garamond.
7. You may enter as many times as you wish. Subsequent entries incur a separate fee.
8. The entry should be de-identified. The author’s name, or other identifying characteristics, should not appear on the submission. Judging is blind.
9. Any entries that do not follow the rules will be disqualified. If an entry is disqualified no refund will be given.
10. Entries may not be altered after they have been submitted.
11. The UWRF/AAWP reserves the right to disqualify any entry that breaches the rules.
12. The judges’ verdict is final. The judges will not enter into correspondence or discussion about the outcome.
13. The award is for unpublished writing, including online publication.
Terms and Conditions
1. Copyright in the submitted work remains with the entrant. The AAWP will not reproduce any entries without the express permission of the entrant. If needed, a copyright licence can be negotiated after the Prize has been awarded.
2. The overall winner will receive one ticket to the UWRF 2020.
3. Economy airfares for the winner to attend the UWRF will be covered up to $500.00. Airfares must be approved by the AAWP prior to booking and must be booked at least one month before departure. When travel is approved, funds will be paid to the winner via bank transfer. Costs associated with alterations to flights are the responsibility of the winner.
4. Accommodation is provided for the winner for the duration of the UWRF (up to $500.00). Accommodation is arranged by AAWP in consultation with the UWRF Partnerships Manager. Funds will be paid to UWRF on the winner’s behalf. Costs associated with alterations to bookings are the responsibility of the winner.
5. The winner is entitled to a one-year membership of the AAWP. Entrants are not required to hold an existing membership, but if they are successful then their current membership will be extended by one year.
6. AAWP conference fees (negotiated annually) are provided for the winner. This includes conference attendance (and all the benefits that entails). Extra fees (i.e. for the conference dinner, or for special activities such as workshops or tours) are the responsibility of the winner.
7. Publication in Meniscus is not guaranteed.